Welcome to Friends of Storeton Woods
We are a local conservation charity to preserve and protect Storeton Woods working alongside the Woodland Trust to support and maintain our local woodland. Storeton Woods is a popular location for walkers of all ages, dog walker’s, horse riders set in a maintained wood with natural beauty with a wide variety of wildlife.
Storeton Woods historical important:
The woods was the location of the Storeton Tramline originally used for transporting stone from the Storeton Quarry to Bromborough to be transported by barge to be used in construction of building all over Birkenhead and Liverpool. The tramline was designed by George Stephenson in 1837 while he was looking for a source of stone for the ‘Sankey Viaduct’ and was constructed for the ‘Liverpool and Manchester Railway Company’.
On a normal work day in 1838 quarrymen in Storeton Woods found the strangest thing within the white sandstone they were extracting, at the time they thought they had discovered hand prints from victims of ‘Noah’s flood’ but after scientists studied the hand prints they found that they were of a dinosaur which was from the Triassic period and called it ‘Chirotherium’ because it means ‘Hand Animal’. These dinosaur footprints has been found throughout of Europe and the world.